Your privacy is important to the United Way of Metropolitan Chicago (“UWMC,” “us” or “we”). We recognize that donors to UWMC and visitors to our website want to know about the personal information they provide to us and how we treat that information.
What information does UWMC collect?
UWMC collects information that enables us to identify and contact you, as well as to carry out certain business purposes described below and to provide our services. For example, we may collect personal information about you when you register through our website, make a donation, participate in our programs, or complete a transaction through our website.
Information You Provide
The types of information we collect directly from you may include:
- Personal information about you, including personal identifiers (such as your name, physical address, email address and phone number) and other information you provide (such as your birthday, marital status and gender).
- Information related to your employment or other professional information.
- Information about how you interact with our social media posts, such as when you “like” them or share them with others.
- Financial information, such as your credit card information, needed to process your requests such as purchases and donations. As described below, UWMC does not process these payments, but we may collect this information from you to share it with our third-party payment processors.
In addition to the information you provide to us or that we collect from our interactions with you, UWMC may also supplement our information about you from other sources, such as your offline interactions with us. UWMC also utilizes fundraising tools from service providers, and may supplement our information about you with information from these tools. We use this information to create a profile about you, which helps us provide you with information about our programming that you may find relevant.
Automatic Data Collection
When you use our website or services, we automatically collect information about you and the device you use to access our website or services. This may include information about your IP address, web browser type and version, geolocation of your IP and of the device you use to access our website, and information about your usage of our website or services such as the searches you run or the pages you view and when.
We use both our own and third-party cookies on our website:
- Google Analytics:Our website uses Google Analytics to help us analyze how users use the website and target users with appropriate advertisements. The information generated by the cookie about your use of the website (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by Google. Information about Google’s privacy practices can be found at the following website: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en.
- Donately: UWMC uses Donately as a platform for online donations via our website. Information generated by the cookies, web beacons or other similar tracking technologies used by Donately about your use of the website (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by Donately. Information about Donately’s privacy practices can be found at the following website: https://donately.com/privacy-policy/.
You have the ability to accept or decline cookies. Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. If you choose to decline cookies, this may impact your experience using our website.
You can use the methods described at the links below to manage cookies. You must take these steps on each browser or device that you use. If you replace, change or upgrade your browser or device, or delete your cookies, you may need to use these opt-out tools again.
- Google Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647
- Apple Safari: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201265
- Mozilla Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enhanced-tracking-protection-firefox-desktop
- Microsoft Edge: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/microsoft-edge-browsing-data-and-privacy-bb8174ba-9d73-dcf2-9b4a-c582b4e640dd
If the browser you use is not listed above, please refer to your browser’s help menu for information on how to manage cookies.
How does UWMC use your personal information
We collect information about you for a variety of business reasons, including in connection with the provision of our services and in completing the transactions initiated by you. UWMC collects and uses the information described above in order to:
- Conduct our business, provide services, and process and fulfill your orders
- Improve UWMC services
- Customize the content of our website and user experience for each visitor
- Research how visitors use our website
- Create and run surveys
- Notify you about new opportunities or activities of UWMC or our affiliates. You can opt-out of our marketing e-mails by following the link provided at the bottom of the e-mail you receive, or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to the uses identified above, UWMC may use personal information collected from donors and visitors to our website for the following purposes:
Contests and sweepstakes. From time-to-time, UWMC hosts contests and sweepstakes. Information collected in connection with such contests and sweepstakes is generally used to notify winners and send prizes.
Legal requests and obligations. We may use your personal information to comply with our legal obligations. For example, if we receive a subpoena or other legal request, we may need to inspect the information we hold to determine how to respond.
User inquiries and support. We may use your personal information to respond to your inquiries and solve any potential issues you might have with the use of our website, our services or an order you placed.
Donations. UWMC allows individuals to make electronic donations through our website and through other means such as submission of a paper pledge form. Information collected from you is used to complete any transactions you initiate on the website or through other means, which includes providing your information to the relevant third parties (as described below) so that they can complete your transaction.
When does UWMC share your personal information with third parties?
UWMC may share your personal information with third parties under certain circumstances, including:
- Consent. We may process or disclose your personal information if you have given us consent to use your personal information for a specific purpose.
- Delivery of our services. We may process or disclose your personal information where we believe it is necessary to provide you with services that you are requesting from us. For example, we use third-party providers to process donations, purchases and any other financial charges which you may elect through our website.
- Legal obligations. We may process or disclose your personal information where we are legally required to do so in order to comply with applicable law, governmental requests, a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena (including in response to public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements).
- Policy violations and fraud detection. We may process or disclose your personal information to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding potential violations of our policies, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person, and illegal activities.
- Vendors and service providers. We may disclose your personal information to third-party vendors, service providers, contractors, or agents who perform services for us or on our behalf and require access to such information to do that work in connection with providing you the services or delivering information to you that you have requested. We share information with these third parties only where (a) the sharing of your personal information is necessary for them to carry out such support services and (b) those service providers agree to use any personal information they receive in accordance with our instructions.
- Third-party analytics. As described above, we use selected third parties to collect information about how you interact with the UWMC website and our services. This information may be used to, among other things, improve the functionality of our website and services.
- Business transfers. We may share or transfer your personal information in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company.
Keeping Your Personal Information Safe
The safety and security of your transactions and your personal information is important to us. UWMC takes reasonable security measures to protect against the loss or misuse of information under its control. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, transmission of information to and from UWMC is at your own risk.
Managing Your Personal Information
When you register on our website, you have the ability to opt out of receiving email or other communications from UWMC. Alternatively, if you would like to remove your name from our mailing lists any time after the registration process, you can do so by contacting us at the email or mailing address listed below in the “Contact Us” section or by using the links contained at the bottom of the marketing communications you receive from us.
If you believe that UWMC may have incomplete or inaccurate information about you, you can reach us at the e-mail or mailing address listed below and request that we update our records.
Notice to Residents of California
Please be aware that UWMC does not share your personal information with any third party for direct marketing purposes. At present, the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (CCPA) does not apply to UWMC. If either of these facts were to change in the future, we will update this privacy statement.
Notice to Residents of Nevada
We do not presently sell any personal information we collect to any third parties. If we were to do so in the future, we will update this privacy statement.
Where We Store Your Personal Information
UWMC’s website and services are intended for residents of the United States. However, if you are located outside of the United States, please be aware that information we collect through our website and services will be transferred to and processed in the United States. By using the website and services or by voluntarily providing your personal information to us, you consent to the transfer, processing, and storage of your personal information in the United States.
UWMC does not currently have any programs or operations in the European Union (“EU”). Should we obtain actual knowledge that any information we collect has been provided by a resident of the EU, we will promptly delete that information.
Personal Information of Minors
The UWMC website is not intended for use by minors, and we do not knowingly collect, maintain, or process personal information submitted online by minors. If we obtain actual knowledge that we have collected information from someone under the age of 16, we will delete that information.
Do-Not Track Signals
Web browsers and other technologies you may use to access the UWMC site or services may include a Do-Not-Track (“DNT”) feature or setting you can activate to signal your privacy preference not to have information about your online browsing activities monitored and collected. At this stage no uniform technology standard for recognizing and implementing DNT signals has been finalized. As such, we do not currently respond to DNT browser signals or any other mechanism that automatically communicates your choice not to be tracked online.
Third Party Websites and Content
UWMC’s website and services may contain links to other websites (“Third-Party Websites”), as well as articles, photographs, text, graphics, pictures, designs, music, sound, video, information, applications, software, and other content or items belonging to or originating from third parties (“Third-Party Content”). This includes links to Third-Party Websites for the purpose of completing a transaction.
Such Third-Party Websites and Third-Party Content are not monitored, or checked for accuracy, appropriateness, or completeness by us, and UWMC is not responsible for any such websites or content. Inclusion of, linking to, or permitting the use or installation of any Third-Party Websites or any Third-Party Content does not imply approval or endorsement thereof by us. If you decide to leave the UWMC’s website or services and access Third-Party Websites or use or install any Third-Party Content, you do so at your own risk. You should review the applicable terms and policies, including privacy and data gathering practices, of any website to which you navigate from our website.
Updates to This Privacy Statement
UWMC may change this privacy statement from time to time. If we make material changes to this privacy statement, we will attempt to notify you and/or obtain your consent, as required by law. UWMC encourages donors and visitors to our website to periodically review this privacy statement. Any changes to this privacy statement will become effective when we post the revised privacy statement to our website.
If you would like to be removed from our mailing lists or update your personal information, or if you have questions about this privacy statement or would like to contact us about it, you can contact us via the following avenues:
Attn: United Way Help Desk
333 S. Wabash Ave.
Chicago, IL 60604